Saturday, September 3, 2011

To those who had trodden this path


     I need help from those who have trodden this path before us. Before court we sat the kids down to explain the rule of our home. It is funny I was encourage to wait until court was over so I did not scare them off, but I wanted there agreement while thy had a choice. I think they thought these rule are not needed until America.  With all the other kids gone I think now is as good of time as ever.   I understand so many of these kids smoke How have you all handled it? What worked the best? When through a missionary translator I told Ilia the rule start now he threw a fit ( I have decide I love it when you kid speak another language and are mad at you can’t  understand and therefore you can stay calm or even laugh inside) Later he come to me ripping up a pack of cigarettes , saying” no smoking.” So now as I get up at 3 am (again) was I can seem to sleep after 2 am and turn on the computer to type I  knock his bag off the table and as I pick it up I feel another pack inside.. Part of me wants to let him know we have 8 days left to decide if he really wants to come and if he is really willing to pay the price.  He has wanted to come the strongest of the two. I actually do not fear he would decide to stay. On the other hand part of me wonders if they are “payment” to caregivers and the top of the food chain boy who is still here.
   Living in an Orphanage is Mind numbing boring! I love to read but with kids to build a relationship with I can’t just sit and read all day. I actually love just sitting on the front step I like the view but they have been here too long to enjoy it. I am so thankful that we get to go to Zap today for church and to visit their friends on Mon.
    I am learning about survival in an Orphanage. Like which back door is open when they lock the front at night, how to jump gates to get out when we make our daily trip to the tiny market down the road to buy little food, where the coffee pot is. The last boy has a electric warmer to stick in to boiling the water. So now I know they have ramean  noodle( Derrick is in Heaven)  I know a lot of  the hiding  places kid try to protect  their things from the others. Our room was used by one.
     Yesterday I boiled a few pot trying to clean the bathroom with some powder I bought at the market yesterday but sadly it does not look much better or even smell better But in my mind I have pour boiling  water over the toilets and tried rubbing it down with cleaner  and an old shirt I found left here ( what I need to a high pressure hose, 3 gallons of bleach,a  scrub brush and some old clothe and shoe I could throw away after and then maybe I could make a real differences. Oh ya, a word of advice don’t put soft padded toilet seats in an Orphanage bathroom you can’t really clean them especially after they start to fall apart!
On a better note the day I got to pick between two rooms I pick without knowing the only room  ( at least that I  have seen) with real mattress! They are new enough I am thinking they may have been bought with ”donation money”, In fact they are more comfortable then the last two place we stayed! Well, it is dawn so off to the shower before the cow gets to the field!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie! I do not want to come back:(. I am glad that I have some medicine for you! I'm hoping that will insure I see you! I just decided I wasn't going to worry about smoking until we were off their turf. Once we get to Kyiv, I'm in charge and if I find any smokes, they will be taken away. It's a tough call to make. I totally understand why they do it. By the end of my three weeks there, I was tempted to join in! Not really, but I'd had enough of the ground hog day to last me a looong time. Another thought, depending on how heavily he smokes and how long he has been smoking, he may need some help with nicotine patches or gum, so the good 'ol USA may be the best time to start that. We challenged our boys a few different times to just not do it that one particular time, or to try to wait longer between. Our boys started smoking when they were 8. That's a long time and a tough habit to kick. Good luck lady! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't have the smoking issue but I can tell you that as far as learning English and manners, Alex informed me that that was "in America" and he fought me to learn English and proceeded to stab his meat with a knife and gnaw it off in bites.
    I'm thinking like Steph, that if they've been smoking that long, some help is going to be needed. Going cold turkey may not be an option? I know that goes against everything inside yourself but I can't imagine with drawls on top of culture shock, lack of language, and new family adjustments.
    How old are your two new children? Do they BOTH smoke?
    Is this "boy of your heart" one you would go back for or try to get while you are there?
    Good luck my dear. I think living in an orphanage for ten days is about ten days too long! But others have done it and you are one strong mama....so watch out toilets, Debbie might just find some bleach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie. I have no idea. "P" says that he has never smoked. I have never seen any evidence of it but perhaps he is stretching the truth. I decided that the best time to start new rules is with the arrival in America. Since everything is different here they might as well start then. I do believe that it depends on the child. You are his mom now and get to decide. I agree with you, it is kind of awesome when they get mad but you cannot understand one thing they are saying. Keeps things calm. That is also the difficult part, when I tell my other kids no I can explain to them why but with "P", No has to be good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had issues with smoking so I'm no hope to you there. Ira is pretty grossed out by it.

    I'm so glad you find it boring at the orphanage too! There were times when I had a blast, but there were lots of times when I was super bored! LOL Hang in there.

    I'm impressed with your laying down the law before court. Part of me wanted to do that, but Ira was so back and forth on it that I'm thinking she'd have bailed! LOL The only thing I've heard since coming home was ONE time when she told me something to the effect of, "You didn't tell me I'd have to go to 3 hours of church every week." :)

    Still praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete