So I was talking with my CPA , and he was asking me if the Ukrainian side of the adoption is final enough to count the children. Does anyone know more? How many of you have done the " American readoption"
this is definitely not a 'professional' opinion, but I have never heard that is is required to readopt the kids in America. I know there are reasons one may want to do so, but I don't think it is necessary. That being said, I would assume that the Ukrainian side of the adoption is as final as it needs to be. We have a birth cert for them with us as their parents and they are citizens of the U.S. now. What more would they need?? Please if you find out differently, let me know:)
When we did our taxes, a social security number was required before we could file. That number was proof enough of adoption. However, we were also required to send in a copy of the adoption decree in English and Ukrainian, all receipts, etc., so keep all of your papers in a central location.
The date of the adoption for the credit is the date you went to court in Ukraine. This is the date that also should be on your adoption decree. You will need to send in this paper with your taxes.
this is definitely not a 'professional' opinion, but I have never heard that is is required to readopt the kids in America. I know there are reasons one may want to do so, but I don't think it is necessary. That being said, I would assume that the Ukrainian side of the adoption is as final as it needs to be. We have a birth cert for them with us as their parents and they are citizens of the U.S. now. What more would they need?? Please if you find out differently, let me know:)
ReplyDeleteWhen we did our taxes, a social security number was required before we could file. That number was proof enough of adoption. However, we were also required to send in a copy of the adoption decree in English and Ukrainian, all receipts, etc., so keep all of your papers in a central location.
ReplyDeleteThe date of the adoption for the credit is the date you went to court in Ukraine. This is the date that also should be on your adoption decree. You will need to send in this paper with your taxes.
ReplyDelete